Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Peter Pan - Collar of Leather- "How To" and Pattern

I just love all of the necklaces and accessories that are out there in the peter pan collar style.  I have been looking at all of the options, and could not find one that I just loved (at least not enough to part with my cash for it.)  I wanted a peter pan collar that was simplified, light weight, flexible and a statement.  So I made one.



This is what I ended up with.  I made it out of deep red leather.  It was a scrap left over from a different project.  I thought I would share how this was made. This was easy, no sewing, no taping, no hot glue.   If you want to make one, I have a link to the pattern in a  pdf 










Supplies:
  • 8 inch by 10 inch piece of leather (I also have used old leather coats that don't fit or have an unfortunate blemish on them.)
  • permanent market
  • cutting tool (scissors or rotary blade)
  • self healing cutting mat
  • punch tool for setting eyelets (ones used in paper crafting work great, but not a paper punch!)
  • acrylic paint or gum tragacanth**  (the gum is sold only at leather supply stores)
  • jewelry findings and clasp closure
  • embellishments








Steps:
  • trace the pattern onto the leather with the marker  
 
  • cut out the collar shape (cut off all of the black markings)


  • punch holes where marked on the pattern

  • rub the gum tragacanth around the edges of the leather.  You can use your fingers or a spoon.  I have done this step both ways.  It just depends on you.  This gum smooths and stiffens the finished edge of the leather.  It dries clear too.  But, if you don't want to get the leather gum stuff,  you can also CAREFULLY paint the edge with acrylic paint, or leave it as is.  

  • attach clasp closure (on the back I used an oval jump ring and a clasp for the closure. A dot of jewelry glue sealed closed the edges of the jump ring.)

You can be creative here. Use a button closure or piece of ribbon and tie the peter pan collar closed.  Do the back first so the front embellishments are not scuffed up.


  • I hooked a jump ring through the two holes in the front and attached some dangle flourishes to it.  I bought these trimmings while I was in Nottingham, England this past summer.  I am so excited to be using them, not just looking at them wistfully.









Again, the pattern for this peter pan collar project is free. To get it,  click here.    I would love to see your projects.  Send me a picture!
(if you can't open the pdf, email me at whimsyfunk@gmail.com and I will send it to you.)

**For the leather stuff (that is bio-degradable with no harmful emissions) you can go to www.tandyleatherfactory.com. It was around $7 or $8.
  

4 comments:

  1. Tara, thanks so much for visiting my blog and leaving your nice comment. I love this collar I had no idea you made it?! I saw you wearing it the other day at school and loved it! By the way, (I read your previous post) I think you should totally bring more fashion and those things you are learning in school to your blog. You obviously have a talent for it and people will appreciate your point view!! I would love to see more about the collection you are creating. Have a great rest of your week, dear.
    -Ashley Cooper

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute! Perfect timing, since costuming is coming up for Halloween! You could go into costuming, you know...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this simple pattern! Thanks for another great idea :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks!